A House Can Be Cleaned Naturally
With research indicating that household chemicals are at least partially responsible for many of the cases of:
- Accidental poisoning
- Skin rashes
- Chemical burns
- Asthma attacks
- Behavioral issues in children
- Negative impact on our ozone layer
It just makes sense and saves cents to use natural household products for cleaning projects around the house.
Some examples of cleaning projects that get accomplished around the home by using just natural products such as white vinegar, baking soda and lemons are:
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Windows
- Using a spray bottle mix 3 parts white vinegar to one part water. Spray glass surface and wipe with old newspaper for a streak free finish. As an added bonus this solution will help maintain frost free car windows for up to 3 weeks. Add salt if the glass is particularly dirty and the coarseness of the salt will help scrub away the grime.
- Take a rag soaked in vinegar and wipe the wiper blades down to remove dirt from them.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Cutting Boards
- Did you know that dish detergent damages the wood over time? Instead sprinkle surfaces with baking soda, spray with full strength vinegar. Watch it foam and bubble. Let it set for 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Rinse with clear cold water. Vinegar has acetic acid which is effective against E.coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Carpet Stains
- Make a paste of 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch; rub it into the stain. Let it sit for two days, vacuum up.
- Remove and prevent mildew – spray on full strength vinegar for heavy mildew spots. Use diluted with an equal amount of water.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Clogged Drains
- Using a funnel pour in ½ cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar. When it stops foaming follow with hot tap water. Wait 5 minutes and follow with cold water. This is not as harmful as many commercial drain cleaners and will deodorize the pipes while killing bacteria found there for just a fraction of the cost.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Polishing Silverware
- Using a small amount of sour milk to cover tarnished silver. Let sit for ½ hour then clean as normal and buff with a soft dry cloth. To make sour milk adding a little lemon juice or vinegar to milk.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Stains on Marble
- While vinegar is not recommended for use on marble, lemons are. Cut a lemon in half, dip in salt and rub it vigorously over the stain to see stains disappear.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Household Odors
- Place sliced lemons in a dish to remove household odors.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Tarnished Brass
- Make a paste using lemon juice and salt or substitute baking soda or cream of tartar for the salt. Rub the paste gently on the brass or metal. Let set for 5 minutes then scrub gently and rinse to get a gleaming finish.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Washing Clothes
- Get whites whiter and colors brighter – Soak clothing in a solution of lemon juice and baking soda for ½ hour before washing. This helps to remove stains, brighten colors, and remove iron and mineral stains from hard water. It will not leave bleach spots like bleach might.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for the Microwave
- Clean and freshen the inside of your microwave – Boil 3 tablespoons lemon juice and water in a microwave safe bowl for 5 to minutes. The steam from this mixture will help loosen grime in the walls and the ceiling of the microwave. Once the water is cool enough to touch use the remaining water to wipe out the microwave.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Insect Prevention and Eradication
- Get rid of insects – Mix a small amount of sugar in a few teaspoons of baking soda. Set a few dishes of this around and roaches will disappear. The sugar lures them in and the baking soda does them in. Wash floors and countertops with lemon juice to repel ants and fleas. Squeeze lemon juice into cracks and crevices and along mop boards.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Pots and Pans
- Wash greasy pots and pans easier – Use salt as an abrasive to cut through grease or baking soda and vinegar to lift it out of the pan.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Wallpaper Stains
- Remove stains from wallpaper – Using a solution of 2 tablespoons baking soda to 1 quart of water make a paste applying to the area. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Dampen a sponge and wipe the spot.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions for Toilets
- Make toilets sparkle – Pour half a box of baking soda into the tank when you can let it sit overnight. Flush it in the morning and see mineral deposits removed.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Solutions Tip for Using Lemons
To get more lemon juice from your lemon allow it to reach room temperature first. Roll it around on your counter using the palm of your hand to break down the connective tissue and walls between the lemon sections.
These tips will help to maintain a clean house and a safer environment while saving money on the household expenses.
* * *
This has been a guest post for Easy Ways to Go Green. The author, Marina, is SAHM and co-owner of hall and foyer table store located at – HallAndFoyerTables.com